The name says it all – AltStore is an alternative app store that provides access to unofficial apps and game emulators.
AltStore provides it all without the need for a jailbreak. It is completely free to download and works on Windows and Mac OS X computers.
How to Download AltStore:
AltStore is very easy to download and is much safer than installing a jailbreak. However, it isn’t quite so simple to download as a standard app store app. It doesn’t take too long, so here’s what you need:
- Your iOS device
- Windows or Mac computer
- USB connection cable for your iPhone or iPad
Once you have all these, you can install AltStore onto your device:
If you are using a Windows-based PC, you need to download iTunes from the official Apple website and not from the Microsoft app store. Use the links below for the correct version:
- Connect your device to your computer
- Using your computer browser, download the app from above for Mac OSX and Windows PC.
- Install the correct AltServer software for your operating system
- On your Mac, open the toolbar, and on top right click AltStore > Install AltStore and chose your device.
- On a Windows PC, open the icon tray at the bottom of the screen, on the right and click the AltServer icon, hover the mouse cursor over Install AltStore and choose your device. If you face errors on this step, check the solutions in the FAQ section below.
- When AltStore has been installed on your device, keep AltServer open on your computer and your device connected, open AltStore on your device, and download whatever apps you want.
- Any time you want an app on your iPhone or iPad, your device must be connected to your computer and AltStore open ( this also applies to app updates ).
How to Use AltStore on iPhone or iPad:
- Open AltStore on your device. If it shows Untrusted Developer, then go to Settings > General > Profile and Trust your Apple ID.
- Now on the AltStore app, sign in with your official Apple ID – Password or, if you used an app-specific password, use that one ( it must be the same one used to install AltStore app via AltServer ).
- To sign in, tap on Settings > Account > Sign In. When you input your details, tap on Sign in
How to Install Apps from AltStore:
- This is much the same as downloading from the iOS app store so open AltStore
- Tap Browse and then either tap an app title to see what its all about or tap on FREE beside it to install it on your device
- You will see the download progress and, once installed; you can access it on your device in the same way as any other app.
How Does AltStore Work?
Develop by a well-known developer, Riley Testut, AltStore has been fully updated to work on iOS 13. But to do this, the developer has had to make use of a feature that app developers use to test apps before submitting them to Apple for inclusion in the app store. Apple is not going to be too impressed with that, but, unlike many third-party apps, there are no enterprise certificates in use here, and that means Apple might find it much harder to stop.
- No Jailbreak required to install AltStore
- No Revokes – Since every user owns and creates their own developer certificates, it cant be revoked globally by Apple.
- Sideload apps just like Cydia Impactor
Only 3 apps can be installed at a time
- Requires a computer to run AltServer ( the desktop companion app ), which installs the AltStore app. Once installed, enable Wifi Sync on iTunes for an untethered experience.
- App Refresh required every 7 days to continue using them.
Top Downloads on AltStore:
The Top Downloads on the AltStore app listed below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the AltStore app.
Fix altserver.dmg cant be opened
Simply go to the download folder on your Mac computer and open the file.
Fix Installation Failed
If you face this error, Installation Failed. You are not a member of any Development team.
The second Installation failed users come across is the Incorrect Apple ID or Password.
To fix this, you will have to go to https://appleid.apple.com and generate an app-specific password as shown below. This is because you have 2-factor authentication enabled.
The 3rd error users get that says Your development team has reached the maximum number of registered devices.
What is the Best Way to Use AltStore?
- Set AltStore so that it launches automatically when your computer is turned on, and you log in
- When you are not using your computer, leave it in sleep mode and keep your iPhone connected. This is more important at night because iOS wakes background apps up much more when the device is connected but not doing anything
- Open AltStore regularly, once a day, or every couple of days. This will allow iOS to prioritize it so that apps are refreshed more frequently
- AltStore is designed, so it checks apps several times a week, so just make sure that your laptop or desktop is connected and active every now and again.
What Apps Can I Download?
At the moment, the only app is Delta Emulator, but in the very near future, more apps will be supported.
What About App Certificate Revokes?
No. Where other similar apps use expired enterprise certificates to run, AltStore doesn’t. Apple does not allow the use of expired enterprise certificates, and they will revoke them, shutting the apps down until new ones can be found. This can’t happen with AltStore because it doesn’t use these certificates; in effect, each individual user has their own certificate for signing, and these cannot be revoked.
Why Do I Need To Use My Apple ID?
Apple will allow any person with a valid Apple ID to install apps they have developed into their iOS devices for testing purposes. Because the developer included this feature in the app, using your Apple ID ensures that AltStore can communicate with the Apple servers for you and do whatever is needed to ensure apps can be installed on your device.
Why do the Apps Expire in One Week?
This is because you are using a free Apple ID. Those that use paid developer accounts, at the cost of $99 per year, will not expire within seven days as the free ones do. It is for this reason that AltStore makes regular attempts to fresh apps, and you can do manual app refreshes from AltStore too.
Do I Need To Keep AltStore Running to Install or Refresh My Apps?
Yes. You must have AltServer running on the same Wi-Fi network that AltStore is on for both refreshing and installing apps.
So, Does That Means AltServer Has to Be Permanently Running?
No. Provided your computer is active on a regular basis, AltStore will check to make sure it is still running on the AltServer Wi-Fi network and, if it is, it will refresh your apps. This has to be successful at least once within the 7 days; otherwise, your app will expire.
The best thing to do is set AltServer, so it runs automatically in the background when your computer is switched on and then ensure that, every now again, your computer is left in sleep mode – if you use Windows, you need to ensure that Network Connectivity is allowed in Sleep mode.
Will This Drain My Battery? May My Computer Slow?
No. All it does it waits for a connection from AltStore, so it doesn’t interfere with anything else.
I Get a “Could Not find AltServer” Message When Refreshing Apps.
This means that AltServer could not be found on the Wi-Fi network. However, if you are on the same network, it could be that the network and firewall are blocking the communication. Try to configure your network, so it allows for device discovery on the network.
You can contact the developer on Twitter for any queries and updates.
*Found a Broken Link? Report Us below.